The Vampire Facelift is a popular named used to describe the non-surgical cosmetic Selphyl medical procedure. It received it’s nickname because the procedure consists of putting part of the patient’s own blood back into specific areas of skin on the face to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and to bring forth a healthier, younger looking glow. It is also known as PRP Therapy (Platelet Rich Plasma). This is because the patient’s blood is filtered to a platelet-rich fibrin matrix, which activates the platelets within the blood and further stimulates the skin cells and increasing collagen production to give that youthful, beautiful appearance that follows.
The Vampire Facelift is often performed:
- To treat smile lines (cheeks, under the eyes, mouth etc.)
- To eliminate unwanted wrinkles and folds.
- To get a younger looking appearance.
- To get a healthier glow.
Although the Vampire Facelift is similar to dermal fillers, the difference is that it does not require the injection of a foreign substance into the skin. This results in a safer, more effective facelift procedure.
What is the Procedure of the Vampire Facelift?
- A small portion of your blood is taken in tubes and placed in a centrifuge, which separates the blood cells from the platelet rich plasma.
- Platelets contain a number of proteins that have the amazing ability to heal injured tissue and damaged skin.
- Using numbing cream and a very small needle so the patient feels very little to no pain at all, the physician injects the PRP into the skin on the areas where they are experiencing wrinkles, folds and dull skin.
- The platelets release their growth factors to stimulate the surrounding cells to repair, increase in volume, create new collagen, fatty tissue and blood vessels, which ultimately, rejuvenate the skin.
- The cells are activated to ‘repair’ the skin that was never injured and the result of this is younger, healthier looking skin.
The Vampire Facelift treatment takes approximately 30 to 40 minutes to perform, and for the best results, up to three treatments 4 to 8 weeks apart and then maintained once or twice a year are recommended. Your skin may appear a little red after the procedure but this typically goes away within a couple of hours, allowing you to get back to your normal day-to-day activities. You may also experience mild swelling which goes away in a couple of days.Who is the Vampire Facelift For?
- Anyone experiencing tired and dry skin.
- To decrease the signs of aging such as wrinkles and fine lines and sagging skin.
- To treat skin discoloration or sun-damaged skin (cheeks, mid-face, jaw line etc.)
- People who are at an increased risk of allergies.
- People who want natural facelift treatment.
Benefits of the Vampire Facelift:
There is an abundance of benefits of having the Vampire Facelift procedure, both cosmetically and financially.
- Since the treatment uses the patient’s own blood, there is a decrease in the risk of rejection to near minimum.
- Natural resources are used as opposed to foreign fillers.
- Little to no side effects.
- Versatile and Long Term Results.
- The Vampire Facelift restores shape and improves skin tone and texture, while also providing rejuvenated, younger looking skin.
- The effects of the Vampire Facelift improve for two to three months.
- The results last or one to two years.
- Non-Surgical Option.
- Short-recovery time.
- In comparison to other facelift procedures, the Vampire Facelift is significantly less costly.
- Minimal Discomfort.
- Little to no pain is experienced during the process and healing period.
What are the risks and potential complications from PRP treatments?
There are few side effects associated with Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy. Immediately after the procedure, you can expect some bruising, swelling and redness at the injection sites. You may also experience some tenderness, bruise and pain at the injection sites. However, any problems should dissipate within a few days following the procedure.
How long will it take to recover from a PRP treatment?
Recovery time is minimal with Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy, much like a visit to the doctor for a blood test. The actual procedure of reinjection of the PRP involves the use of topical anaesthetic, although not always depending on the patient and area being treated, rather than local or general anaesthetic, meaning that most patients feel comfortable returning to their normal activities straight after the treatment or within a short while.
How long will the result last?
The results last for at least 1 to 2 years.
How many Vampire Facelift sessions will I need?
Results will vary from person to person but for the best result we recommend having 2-3 treatments2-6 months apart.
When will I see the results?
It may take a few weeks for the results of the PRP therapy to become visible, but with two to three top-up treatments.
How long does the treatment take?
Each Vampire Facelift session will take 30-60 minutes and you will be able to resume your normal daily routine straight after.
Which areas can be treated?
PRP therapy can be used on the face. It is effective at improving sun damage and dull, worn-out looking skin. Also, the backs of the hands, scars and all over the body, more commonly the décolletage and even the knees to give skin a more youthful and radiant appearance.
How does The Vampire Facelift Work?
The Vampire Facelift involves blood being taken from your body (like a blood test) then put into a machine that separates the blood cells, serum and platelets. A tiny amount (10-20ml) of your own blood will be drawn. This is done in a similar way to when you have blood taken for testing at the doctor’s office. The blood will then be spun in a centrifuge to separate the platelet plasma from the red blood cells. Any makeup on the skin will be removed using a wipe, and antiseptic will be applied to the injection site. A topical local anaesthetic will then be applied to the skin of the injection site for 20-30 minutes. The PRP will then be introduced into the skin, with aseptic technique, in the desired area using a very fine microneedling. Platelets release growth factors that help the body repair itself by stimulating cells to regenerate new tissue. So as well as improving the skin tone, the treatment also promotes healthy skin growth and collagen production so skin appears plumper and more vibrant.
Case Studies Coming Soon