It is a very common occurrence for our skin and muscles to slacken with age. It is generally the face and the neck that start to show the first signs of ageing. As the skin begins losing its elasticity and a loss of volume because of ageing, it begins to sag. This sagging leads to the appearance of lines and wrinkles. Weight loss is also something that may leave you with excess skin around the neck and under the chin. A face and neck lift is a procedure that can be performed to deal with the sagging skin. These procedures can either be performed either separately for the desired results or together. The important thing to remember, as is true with any cosmetic procedure, is to have a realistic expectation of what can be achieved. The results of these procedures will depend a lot on your skin elasticity and the degree to which it has been affected by sun and age.
Mini Facelift surgery
A mini face lift is a procedure that can be performed to produce a subtle tightening around the jaw line. This procedure cannot mimic the results of a full face lift however, there is minute improvement around the mouth, upper neck, and in the mid face.
A mini face lift is a minor version of a Minimal Access Cranial Suspension (MACS) lift. The procedure takes about 1 hour to complete and can be performed with local anesthetics, and oral sedation where required. The incision is made along the side burns hairline as well as along the front of the ear. The skin is lifted and then tightened with the help of skin stitches. Any excess skin can also be removed. Afterwards, dressings and a compression garment is applied over the wound.
The facelift procedure is used to lift up the facial skin and muscles to lend your face a tighter and smoother appearance. The face lift procedure does not affect the area around the mouth, eyes, or the upper third of your face.
A face lift is performed either under local anesthesia with sedatives, or under general anesthesia. The surgical cut for this surgery is made around the hair line, in front of the ears. The procedure may also require cuts to be made under the chin, if the lift also includes fixing a sagging jaw line. The rest of the procedure is as follows:
- The skin is separated from the muscles
- Excess fat is removed
- Muscles are tightened
- Skin is lifted off, pulled back, and the excess trimmed
- The skin is stitched back to the original cut line
The Ideal Candidate for a Neck and Facelift
Any individual who has begun to notice sagging of the skin, has a strong and well defined bone structure, and still has some skin elasticity, is a good candidate for a neck and face lift surgery.
For recovery, you might need 2 to 3 weeks off work, and 1 week for a mini facelift. Recovery process:
- For at least 1 week, keep your head elevated (2 days if you had a mini facelift)
- Scars can set in about 48 hours but avoid rubbing your wounds
- Bruising mostly disappears in about 2 weeks but swelling may last for a few months
- Your appearance becomes presentable in about 2 – 4 weeks (1 week for mini facelift), but healing will continue for up to a year
- Avoid a lot head or neck movement for the first month
- Some of the sutures will be removed for checking the wound in about 7 days, and the rest will be removed 10 days – 2 weeks later
- A follow-up surgeon appointment will be scheduled after 6 weeks of the surgery; other follow ups will be scheduled as per requirement
- Make sure you attend all post-operative appointments